At water’s edge, a permanent war memorial was built in 1995, the 50th anniversary of the end of World War II, known as the “Victory-Peace Monument”.
The memorial is in a circle of concrete on the ground. In the center of the circle is a brass disk 5.6 metres (18 ft) in diameter with the words “1939 1945 PEACE” inscribed and the word peace etched into the disk in other languages. The circle is bounded by a rim of concrete steps. Six of the steps have black granite blocks about 60 centimetres (24 in) by 67 centimetres (26 in). Each block is etched with words or artwork relevant to the war. There are two sets of bronze walls, arranged like ship prows. Between the walls are maple leaves. One is engraved “Sacrifice”. The walls surrounding it has artwork depicting information about Canada’s involvement in World War II. The monument was designed by artist John McEwan. It was dedicated by Canadian Governor-General Romeo LeBlanc on November 14, 1995.